Friday, December 21, 2012

Maria called...


When I saw her number show up on my screen, I froze. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to think. I had only spoken to her once since she left, and that was in a drunken stupor after I had called her best friend some twenty times begging to speak to her.  That conversation didn’t go too well. Since then, our only means of communication have been through our lawyers as we begin the paperwork for our divorce.

But that isn’t why she called.

She was already crying when I picked up. Apparently, her show was put on “hiatus” after just two episodes aired. Her career as an actress was “over”. She didn’t know what to do, because this was the only project that had shown interest in her. She was scared and alone in a new city. And then she said she missed me.

That was tough to hear. I mean, where does she get off? She left me. She completely abandoned me at the darkest moment in my life, and now I’m supposed to be her shoulder to cry on? No, fuck that.

I told her to pull herself together. There would be other opportunities; one cancelled show doesn’t negate her talent. I also reminded her that she has made a fine career as a model, and since she’s still under 30, that’s still an option for her. I then, as kindly as I could, reminded her that she left me, and that while I was a giant dickhead who probably deserved it, it didn’t mean I was heartbroken. I then calmly told her to send all further questions to my lawyer and hung up.

Look, I don’t want to come off as some “scorned lover”. I think I’ve made it clear in my recent posts that I realize I deserve what happened. But does that mean I have to take her back? I mean, after all she skipped town with no warning. The way I see it, she’s just another connection to the old me that I’m trying to distance myself as far as possible from.

In other news, my date went great. Her name is Rachel, and it turns out she is the head chef at the Japanese restaurant we went to (of course, my buddy didn’t inform me of this). She’s a really cool, down-to-earth girl and we had a great time together. We have our second date tomorrow, and I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment