Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Got a date.


Well, if you want to be technical, I have to dates.

The first, and arguably more important, is with the league commissioner. My agent called me with the news a few days ago. Essentially, what I said in my last post was right, and the league wants to talk to me now that I’ve finished my anger management. With only one week left in the regular season, I know it’s a stretch that I get reinstated this year, but this is still a positive step. Who know, maybe they’ll let me back for the playoffs.

The second date that I got was with a woman. It all started when I reached out to my closest friends on the team, and asked them if we could meet up during their bye week. Luckily, I hadn’t completely burned that bridge, and they agreed to come over to my place. After I thanked them for meeting me, I opened the floodgates. I told them everything I’ve been going through, what I’ve been feeling, and how sorry I was for acting as I did. I completely abandoned them, not just as a teammate with my selfish actions, but also as a friend. I told them my intentions of becoming a better leader in the locker room, especially to the younger guys. I could tell they were skeptical, and I can’t blame them for that, but they accepted my apology. We hugged it out, and I’m not ashamed to say I shed a few tears.

Anyway, after we got all the serious talk out of the way, we got right back to shooting the shit like we did before I got suspended. Naturally, my impending divorce was a major topic of discussion. The guys never liked Maria much anyway, and with hindsight being 20-20, I see why. One thing led to another, and next thing I know, I’m being set up on a blind date. We have reservations at a local Japanese fusion restaurant for tomorrow night. It’s been years since I’ve been on a date. I’m shitting my pants.

I guess we’ll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment